Friday, May 6, 2011

Granola Anyone?

Who doesn't love a bowl of granola?  I know I do.  I love this recipe.  It is pretty easy, cheaper than buying it, and it makes your house smell HEAVENLY!  I hope you enjoy!
Dry Ingredients:
6 c. Rolled Wheat (found at Health food store)
2 c. Wheat Germ (also at Health food store)
2 t.  Salt
8 c. Rolled Oats (can be 5 min. or old fashioned)
2 c. Brown Sugar
--Can also add chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, coconuts, dried fruit
Wet Ingredients:
1 c. Light Vegetable Oil
1/2 c. Honey
2 t. Vanilla

Mix dry ingredients well.  Add wet ingredients a little at a time, mixing well.  Spread on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 2-1/2 hours @ 225 degrees.  Stir every 1/2 hour.

**FYI: When I make this, I 1-1/2 the recipe.  However, I use a lot less oil than it calls for (only about 1/2 c.) and make up the difference with honey and water--mostly water.  Just make sure you have a total of 3-3/4 c. liquid.  Also, because you are using extra honey in this situation, I keep the brown sugar at 2 cups.  Then I spread it onto 2 cookie sheets and bake for 3 hours rather than 2-1/2.  When I take them out to stir it, I rotate the pans on the oven shelves.
We have a rule at my house:  Only 1 bowl of granola a day.  Otherwise it is gone WAY too fast!
ENJOY!

2 comments: