Friday, May 20, 2011

Ruffled Binkie Clip

Okay, as I said before, I have baby on the brain.  I decided to make a binkie (or pacifier) clip.  My other two kids used binkies, but I never had clips for them.  I am loving all the RUFFLES out there, and I thought it would make for a perfect binkie clip.

Supplies needed:
-Scrap Fabric
-Clip (I used a name badge clip.  A 20 pack is about $2 at Walmart in the office section).  You will need to remove the plastic piece that is attached to the clip

Step 1:  I started off with a long strip of fabric.  Mine was about 22"x2 1/2".
 Fold it in half (right sides together).  Then sew along 3 of the sides, close to the edge.  The side that remains open needs to be a short edge.

Step 2:  Turn right-side out.
Step 3:  Sew a basting stitch (your widest stitch) down the center.  Make sure you leave plenty of thread at the beginning and end of the strip.  
Step 4:  Gather your fabric to make your ruffle.  Do this by pulling the bottom thread.  You have to pull the fabric and play with it until you reach your desired ruffle.  Once mine was ruffled, it was about 12-13" long.  Change your stitch length back to normal and sew down the same stitch to secure the ruffle.
Step 5: Sew a quick rolled hem on your unfinished side.
Step 5:  Take the side with the rolled hem and push it through the hole in the clip.
 Step 6: Sew this flap down.  It doesn't have to look pretty because it will be covered.
Step 7:  Make a button hole about 1-1/2" from the other end of the fabric.  If you need a tutorial for button holes, here is a great one.  Then sew on your button.  Make sure you sew it on the right side so when it loops around, it will go up through the button hole.
Step 8:  Make a fabric flower.  Hot glue it to the clip.  This should cover that seam.
 And there you have it.  All done!  Now I just need to buy some binkies!

4 comments:

  1. So precious- and such a great twist on the classic paci clip! I'll be bookmarking this for sure!

    Thanks for sharing; I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cute cute! I'll definitely be substituting this for the "regular" pacifier clips that I normally make. Thanks for sharing!

    MJ @ MD School Mrs.

    ReplyDelete